NEWARK, NJ – Four Paterson men face up to thirty years in prison, and a one million dollar fine, after being charged with breaking into dozens of mailboxes in surrounding counties, U.S. Attorney Craig Carpenito announced Wednesday.

According to a statement Aneuris Henriquez-Lopez, 24, Eleazer Peralta, 19, Fernando Santiago, 26, and Rikinson Rodriguez-Sanchez, 25, are alleged to have stolen checks from the mailboxes and deposited them into various bank accounts. In total the suspects are said to have obtained and deposited “at least” $450,000 as part of this scheme.

The suspects, court documents state, used pry bars to break into the mail collection boxes, usually late at night.

Sign Up for Montville Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

While Henriquez-Lopez, Peralta and Santiago were scheduled to make their first appearance before a judge on Wednesday, Rodriguez-Sanchez remains at large.

Four men previously charged were identified as co-conspirators in the scheme that is said to have run from February 2018 until June 2018.

Follow us on Facebook and sign up for TAPinto Paterson E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things Paterson!

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS for breaking news, traffic/weather alerts and special offers.

Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Steve Lenox and tell him about it.