MONTVILLE, NJ – Students at Montville Township High School were evacuated on March 28 when a fire alarm at the school was inadvertently triggered by a spray aerosol product being applied as a finish on a project, according to Superintendent of Schools René Rovtar.

The evacuation, which occurred at approximately 10:23 a.m., was followed by response from the Montville Fire Department.

“The fire chief provided the all clear, and students and staff were allowed to return to the building quickly,” Rovtar said. “Afterward, while the area was cleared of staff and students, fans were placed in the room and in the hallway to assist in venting residual aerosol."

“The students, staff, police and fire department reacted quickly and calmly, resulting in a thorough and brief evacuation,” Rovtar concluded.