LINCOLN PARK, NJ – The Morris County Clerk’s Passport Division is taking its passport operation on the road to Lincoln Park on Thursday, June 28 to make it more convenient for residents of the borough and towns in northeast Morris County to obtain passports.
There also will be an opportunity for new notaries to be commissioned or for existing notaries to obtain commission renewals. (Call 973-285-6122 for more information.)
“We hope this service makes it easier for residents of Lincoln Park and surrounding towns to obtain passports, which are more vital than ever for travel and also for identification purposes,’’ said Morris County Clerk Ann Grossi.
The “Passport Outreach Program’’ will benefit anyone in need of a new or renewed passport, said Grossi.
The event will be held at Lincoln Park Borough Hall, Community Meeting Room, 34 Chapel Hill Road, Lincoln Park, 07035 on June 28, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Applicants must arrive prior to 1:30 p.m.
Residents can walk in for service.
Grossi urges anyone interested in using the service to review carefully what they must bring to the passport center, and to call her office if they have any questions.
“We certainly want this process to go smoothly for applicants, so it is important they understand what is required to obtain or renew a passport,’’ Grossi said.
Here is what you need:
* Citizenship evidence: A certified birth certificate (not a photocopy) listing both parents’ names, or a current passport, or a naturalization certificate, or a consular report of birth abroad.
* Photograph: You must bring a color 2 x 2 photo with white or light background (photos can be obtained at local merchants, such as CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, and other locations)
* Proof of identification: A driver’s license, previously issued passport, government or military ID, or a naturalization certificate.
* Minors must appear with both parents, properly identified. The child's original birth certificate issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or the Department of Health and stating both of the parent's names must be submitted.
* Social Security Numbers are required for all applications (including minors)
* Personal checks, money orders or bank checks are required. Cash, credit cards and debit cards are NOT accepted. There will be two separate payments required for each passport. Please bring adequate blank checks.
If you must expedite the passport process, an expedited process fee is $60 per application and $15.98 for overnight express mail.
Estimated processing times for passports are four to six weeks for routine passport service or three weeks for expedited service.
In addition to the “Passport Outreach Program” program, the County Clerk’s passport office, at 10 Court Street in Morristown, is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, with Tuesday evening hours until 8 p.m. (but walk-ins must arrive by 7 p.m.).
For more passport information, including costs, call 973-285-6161 or visit http://www.morriscountyclerk.org/index.php/passports/
Sign up to receive FREE TAPinto news in your email inbox: www.tapinto.net/enews