MONTVILLE, NJ – With a drive-thru graduation and a video presentation set for June 23, the last day of school, Montville Township High School Principal Doug Sanford contacted students and parents on Monday, June 8 to say that the July in-person graduation that he had been less than confident about was now on.
The July 6, morning, outdoor event will be for students only and parents will have to watch from home, as the governor will only allow up to 500 people to attend such events, and the class comprises about 320 students. Sanford wrote in his email that the ceremony would be similar to the traditional graduation ceremony with some modifications, like mask-wearing, six-foot spacing and an empty stage for speeches. Since the students will pick up their diplomas at the drive-thru ceremony on the 23rd, Sanford said that a commemorative certificate would be picked up from a table at the in-person ceremony.
Sanford called all plans for the in-person event tentative.
In the same email, Sanford also walked back his directive that vehicle windows at the drive-thru ceremony had to be kept closed.
Lazar Middle School Principal Michael Pasciuto stated in correspondence to students and parents that Lazar’s eighth grade promotion ceremony would be the evening before the last day of school at 6 p.m. as a video and would include the library of more than 1,000 photos of students taken throughout the year.
The awards ceremony will take place as a separate event, he told TAPinto Montville.
Sign up to receive FREE TAPinto news in your email inbox: www.tapinto.net/enews
Celebrating something special? Showcase your anniversary, birthday, graduation, and MORE on TAPinto Milestones!