MONTVILLE, NJ – A multiple-alarm fire on Wednesday evening has left an Avalon Drive home with heavy smoke damage, according to Pine Brook Fire Chief James Schmitt.
Police were the first to arrive at a “working house fire” at 34 Avalon Dr. at approx. 8:50 p.m. on April 3, finding mulch surrounding the home to be on fire, Schmitt said. They extinguished the flames with fire extinguishers, but it quickly sparked back up, spread into the basement and first floor. New Jersey was experiencing high winds Wednesday evening.
Four trucks from Pine Brook Volunteer Fire Department, one truck from Towaco Vol. Fire Dept., three trucks from Montville Vol. Fire Dept., and a truck from Parsippany Station #5 responded, Schmitt said. Boonton sent a truck to “fast team,” in case extrication of firefighters in distress was necessary. The Montville Township First Aid Squad also responded.
The fire took about 25 minutes to extinguish, and PBVFD and others stayed on scene until about 10:30 p.m., Schmitt said.
There were no injuries; the residents were home at the time but everyone got out safely, he said. There was low voltage lighting in the mulch, which was a possible cause of the fire, Schmitt said, but he did not know the specific cause.
Sign up to receive FREE TAPinto news in your email inbox: www.tapinto.net/enews