MONTVILLE, NJ – Carbon monoxide detectors save lives, and the chiefs from two towns are encouraging residents and business owners to make sure their systems are in top form after a carbon monoxide event in town had a safe outcome due to the devices.
On Thursday, Nov. 7 at about 1:30 p.m., Pine Brook Volunteer Fire Department and Parsippany Fire Company District Five responded to a warehouse business at 10 New Maple Ave. that had carbon monoxide detectors indicating dangerous levels of the deadly gas in the area. All employees had been evacuated.
The rooftop air conditioning units were checked, according to Pine Brook Chief Jim Schmitt, because a cracked heat exchanger can result in carbon monoxide leakage the same way a faulty boiler or incorrectly installed hot water heater in a residence can leak the gas.
According to Company Five, issues were found with two units and they were shut down.
The warehouse doors were opened, and rooftop exhaust fans, fire engine fans, and fans inside of the warehouse were used to evacuate the gas down below a reading of "10," according to Company Five and Schmitt. Crews then worked with New Jersey Natural Gas to restore the warehouse to a safe state before reopening it for business use, according to Company Five. Schmitt said the event took about four hours, with the help of the Montville Township First Aid Squad, Montville Township Police, and Montville Volunteer Fire Department standing by to cover Pine Brook calls.
Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. Make sure your home and/or business has at least one detector in good working condition, and check and replace the batteries regularly. It could save lives.
Sign up to receive FREE TAPinto news in your email inbox: www.tapinto.net/enews