MORRISTOWN, NJ - A boil water advisory has been issued for Morristown and Morris Township for Friday June 8.
At approximately 5:00 AM on June 8, 2018, a water main break occurred at or near the intersection of Washington Valley Road and Whitehead Road in Morris Township, stated SMCMUA authorities.
According to officials, repairs are in progress. Water service in this area may be impacted where affected customers will be notified via telephone and/or door hangers, stated an notice from SMCMUA.
A boil water advisory has been issued. What does this mean? According to SMCMUA, a boil water advisory means effective immediately and until further notice, customers within the impacted service area are instructed to bring tap water to a rolling boil for three minutes and allow the tap water to cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking; preparing foods; mixing baby formula, food, juices or drinks; washing vegetables and fruit; cooking; making ice; brushing teeth; and washing dishes until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
Officials also recommend the following measures:
- throw away uncooked food or beverages or ice cubes made with tap water during the day of the advisory;
- keep boiled water in the refrigerator for drinking;
- do not swallow water while showering or bathing;
- rinse hand-washed dishes with a diluted bleach solution (one tablespoon of household bleach per gallon of tap water) or clean your dishes in a dishwasher using the hot wash cycle and dry cycle;
- do not use home filtering devices in place of boiling or using bottled water; most home water filters will not provide adequate protection from microorganisms
- use only boiled water to treat minor injuries;
- provide pets with drinking water that has been boiled and cooled.
Continue to boil your water or use bottled water until you are notified that the water quality is satisfactory. This advisory will remain in effect until repairs are completed and testing shows the water quality to be safe. The next update is anticipated at 3:00 PM.
Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MorristownTAP/ and on Twitter at @MorristownTAP and on Instagram at @tapintomorristown