With plenty of fresh-from-the farm fruits and vegetables around in the summer, dips are the way to go. Nutrition experts at Atlantic Health System offer two recipes below: one for veggies and the other for fruit. Grab a cooler or some ice, and you can take them both along to the pool or beach.
CREAM CHEESE MOUSSE GREEK DIP
The scallions and pepper might surprise you, but give this treat a try.
- ¼ cup low-fat whipped cream cheese, room temperature for easier blending
- ¼ cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Mix together. Serve with strawberries, sliced apples or pears. Use immediately, or refrigerate for use later.
TUSCAN WHITE BEAN DIP
This dip is great for vegetables and crackers.
- 1 cup rinsed cannellini beans
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (or ¼ teaspoon dried)
Puree and serve with crackers or fresh vegetables. Use immediately, or refrigerate for use later.