It only takes one storm to change your life and community. This area has experienced powerful nor’easters and hurricanes that have taught us that. Remember, hurricanes don't just damage coastal communities in New Jersey. They can damage homes far inland as well.
Need help getting ready? Don’t know where to start? Check out these important tips to remember from the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management's free hurricane survival guide. Download it here http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/plan/hurricanes.html. Share with your family, friends, neighbors, and community leaders. The time to prepare is now.
Forecasters at National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center say the Atlantic could see another above-normal hurricane season this year.
For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through Nov. 30, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.
Forecasters predict a 70 percent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms, of which five to nine could become hurricanes, including two to four major hurricanes. An average season produces 12 named storms of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.
Pets are family too
Remember to include them in your hurricane plans. Visit www.animalemergency.nj.gov to find out more.
If you or your neighbor have special needs be sure to visit Register Ready, New Jersey's special needs registry for disaster planning, today: www.registerready.nj.gov
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer. Click here to submit a Guest Column.