MORRISTOWN, NJ - The Southeast Morris County Municipal Utilitites Authority (SMCMUA) will be conducting routine fire hydrant flushing and maintenance in Morristown on Sunday September 10. The water company said that the maintenance will occur from 7am until 3pm on Ridgedale Avenue between Malapardis Road, Morris Street and Elm Street.
During this routine inspection, SMCMUA will examine and repair hydrants. Flushing also aids in cleaning the water mains and flushes out any built up minerals or deposits from the pipes, said the company.
The water company has stated that some customers within the maintenance area may see a temporary drop in water pressure or a temporary discoloration of water. This is normal, according to SMCMUA. However, during the flushing process iron or manganese may be stirred up withing the system, changing the water to either red or black. If this happens, let your water run until clear, stated SMCMUA.
The water company has offered customers the following tips during the flushing and maintenance:
- Avoid running your tap water and using the washing machine or dishwasher while crews are flushing your area. This reduces the chance of pulling discolored water into your home.
- If discolored water occurs, simply run the cold water for a few minutes until it clears. This allows the sediment to work its way out of your pipe.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear before doing laundry or running the dishwater. Note: if your laundry does become stained do not put your laundry in the dryer. Rewash clothes immediately and add a rust remover.
- In some cases, slight discoloration might linger for a few hours. This discoloration affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seem low after flushing has been completed. Check your faucet screens (aerators) for trapped particles.
For more information; visit smcmua.org