MORRISTOWN, NJ -  Morristown Mayor Timothy Dougherty is calling on all Morristown residents to take precautions during the winter months to reduce the chance of house fires.   A fire suspected to have been caused by a space heater,  recently destroyed a home. The Mayor is encouraging safety measures to help prevent further accidents.
 
If there is a need to use space heaters during the extreme temperatures, the Mayor is reminding all residents to use the following safety tips.
 
     * Use heaters on the floor. Do not place them on furniture, which could create a trip/fall hazard.
      *Do not use heaters in wet or moist places such as bathrooms.
      *Do not use extension cords or run the cords under carpets or rugs.
      *Use only UL listed heating appliances that include tip over switches that shut the heater off if it is tipped over.

      *Do not place heaters within 5 ft. of bedding, clothing, drapes etc.
      *Do not use heaters to dry wet clothes or in an area where clothing or other objects can fall on the heater.
 
“Many of us don’t think much about it,” said Mayor Dougherty. “We move on with our days, our lives, believing we know what to do should a fire occur. ‘Stop, drop and roll’. We all have heard it as children and it’s certainly important. But there are things you can do to prevent even getting to that point and it’s important that they are highlighted as well.”
 
“Most home fires are preventable with more awareness and diligence,” says Mayor
Dougherty. “We don’t want our residents to find out the hard way.”
 
Ensure that working smoke alarms are present in your home or apartment. It is recommended to have an alarm on each level as wells as in outside sleeping areas and bedrooms.
      *Test smoke alarms at least once a month. Change batteries if necessary.
      *Establish an escape plan should a fire occur and make sure everyone in your household knows exactly what                 to do.
      *Practice that plan and be aware of you household’s escape time.
 
Beginning in 2015 the Morristown Fire Bureau will be teaming up with the American Red Cross to help reduce fire deaths and injuries with a program that checks existing smoke detectors and installing new or replacement smoke detectors.
 
For more information contact Chief Robert Flanagan at 973-292-6610.