MORRISTOWN, NJ - Following a family tradition of preserving Morris County history and culture, longtime MCHS trustee Robert H. Donaldson has donated four acres of land adjacent to Jonathan’s Woods Park to the township of Denville.

The donation is in honor of his grandparents, George and Etta Donaldson, early developers of Cedar Lake Park in Denville, Donaldson said. The Donaldson family was also active in fundraising efforts to recover the historic woodlot behind Acorn Hall, decimated by Superstorm Sandy.

The donated property is known as the Donaldson Wildlife Preserve and is the highest point in the park. It encompasses a grotto and natural slab of stone called “The Last Supper.”

Sign Up for Morristown Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Founded in 1945, MCHS is a member-supported 501 (c)3 organization whose mission is to preserve and promote the history of Morris County. The MCHS receives operating funds from the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders and the New Jersey Historical Commission and project/preservation grant funding from the New Jersey Historic Trust, 1772 Foundation, and Morris County Historic Preservation Trust. The MCHS was also awarded a Sandy Disaster Relief Grant for Historic Properties by the New Jersey Historic Trust, with funds provided by the Historic Preservation Fund of the National Park Service to the NJ State Historic Preservation Office.

MCHS is located at Acorn Hall, 68 Morris Ave., Morristown, and is open Wednesdays and Thursdays, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., and Sundays, 1p.m.-4 p.m. For more information, call MCHS at 973-267-3465 or visit MorrisCountyHistory.org.

Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MorristownTAP/ and on Twitter at @MorristownTAP