MORRIS TOWNSHIP, NJ – Facing a Delbarton side that has won a conference championship 13 of its last 14 seasons—spanning from the Northern Hills to the NJAC-American to the NJAC-United—the Morristown boys soccer team knew they’d be underdogs going into Thursday’s clash at Greystone Park.
Although the game ended with the Colonials on the short side of the stick, Brian Kiernan’s side hung in there with the Green Wave for a while, before ultimately falling 4-0.
Morristown, now 12-5-1 on the year after this result, dropped to 4-2 in the NJAC-United Division, while Delbarton clinched the league crown with a 7-0 mark.
“I was looking for how we’d respond to adversity today,” said Morristown coach Brian Kiernan, “and our kids played with heart and gave their best effort. It’s all you can ask for.”
The home side was able to hold off Delbarton for the game’s first 38 minutes. However, the goal came when the Green Wave’s Kian Alberto launched a shot from the top of the eighteen-yard box and into the back of the net to make it 1-0.
Delbarton had nearly scored eleven minutes into the game, but a dangerous throw-in that crossed the face of goal was punched away by goalkeeper Mike Storch and out of danger. In the twenty-second minute, Morristown’s Ian McCreedy created some space in the attacking third, but hooked a shot just to the left of the goal.
Aside from a Delbarton corner that Storch (eight saves) defused with a leaping grab, neither side had any other legitimate chances in the first half.

But disaster struck Morristown nine minutes into the second half, as a Colonial player was sent off the pitch with a red card. On the ensuing free kick on the restart, Delbarton would capitalize, as a flick-on header from Will Donovan doubled the lead to 2-0.
Just three minutes later, the third goal came when Ethan Fabricant of Delbarton made Morristown pay for a defensive mishap in the back third. The fourth and final finish came in the 78th minute, when Ryan Stefancik took a pass from Owen Mairo to close out the scoring.