MORRISTOWN, NJ - The tennis clubhouse, courts and grounds were spruced up and readied for members of the Morristown Field Club and their guests as the Club celebrated its 135th Anniversary on Sunday, June 26.
 
The occasion was marked with tennis, music and an old fashioned barbeque.
 
Morristown mayor, the Honorable Timothy P. Dougherty, and his wife, Mary, were in attendance as the mayor read an official proclamation that named Sunday, June 5, 2016 as Morristown Field Club Day.  The proclamation also recognized the club’s contribution to the community and the United States.
 
 
The Club was founded in 1881 and was originally located on South Street near the present Kings’ Supermarket.  Two courts were built for men’s use only and the club was called the Morristown Lawn Tennis Club.  It is the third oldest tennis club in New Jersey.
 
In 1893, the club reorganized as the Morristown Field Club and expanded its activities to include baseball, football and cricket.  Two years later in 1895, ladies became members and a bowling alley and five-hole golf course were built.  In 1899, a new clubhouse replaced the old clubhouse, which was moved to the skating pond on James Street.
 
In 1941 the Field Club moved to its present location on James Street.  A new clubhouse and six red clay courts were built and the club officially incorporated as a tennis club only, dropping all other sports.  
 
The club helped the World War II effort in 1943 by plowing up its lawns and planting a Victory garden of beans and potatoes.
 
A fire in 1950 destroyed the tennis clubhouse, which was replaced by the one that exists today.  Expansion of club facilities has taken place since that time, resulting in a complex that contains 6 red clay tennis courts, 6 Har-Tru courts and a platform tennis complex.
 
The Morristown Field Club is a private recreational and social club whose objectives are to encourage and provide facilities for the athletic, recreational and social activities of its members.  For additional information about the Club, please visit the club’s website, www.mfctennis.com.