MORRISTOWN, NJ - Morristown's Burnham Pool will reopen Saturday June 27, said officials. Registration for the pool will begin Tuesday June 16 in Community Pass.
"We are very excited to announce we will be opening Burnham Pool this summer and are grateful to see the ongoing enthusiasm from the community as phone calls and emails continue to roll in each day", said recreations officials. "The Recreation Department is hard at work making all the necessary preparations to optimize safety and public health -- including pool inspections, staff training, and of course all changes related to COVID-19, including newly required signage and other protocols".
Below are some guidelines from the recreation department.
- Log in to your Community Pass and register. Please DO NOT make a new account!
- Do not discard photo ID cards. All ID barcodes are reactivated once you register and pay for the current season.
- Must Complete the 2020 Pool Registration Form and email it to REC@Townofmorristown.org
- ID cards are required for all registered members ages 4+ (before Opening Day).
- Proof of residency will be required prior to activating new photo ID cards. Morristown Recreation staff members reserve the right to deny activation of ID cards without valid proof of residency (ex. government issued ID card, utility bill, etc.).
- Email proof of residency and pictures to, REC@Townofmorristown.org
- We can mail your ID cards, or you can pick them up from the pool. We will make those arrangements once you are registered.
Limited Bather Load
- The normal bather load of Burnham Pool is 662. This year, the bather load will be reduced to 331 to encourage social distancing based on the 50% reduced capacity order by the State of New Jersey. This will also mean that the Dive Pool will be CLOSED for the Season.
Entry to the Facility
- This year, more than ever, membership cards are vital to promoting social distancing between yourself and staff/other members of the facility. Please remember your membership card at each visit. If you do not have your membership card, please call Morristown Recreation at 973-292-6717.
- All members must be scanned into the facility. This is crucial to allow for accurate contact tracing should there be a case of COVID-19 at Burnham Pool. A barrier has been installed to separate our gate attendants from our members. If there is a line when checking in, please follow the 6-foot markings to ensure social distancing.
- The front gate will be the only entrance into the facility for the 2020 season, the back will remain closed. When inside the facility, the gate to the left of the flag will the designated exit. This will be monitored by a separate attendant.
- No registrations will be taken at the facility.
2020 Season and Hours of Operation
- Saturday, June 27, 2020 -September 7, 2020
- Closed from Monday, August 31, 2020- Friday, September 4, 2020
- Open Saturday, September 5, 2020- Monday, September 7, 2020
- Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday (12:00pm-8:00pm) and Saturday- Sunday (11:00am8:00pm)
- There will be no guests allowed entrance to Burnham Pool this year.
- There will be no daily passes allowed entrance to Burnham Pool this year.
- Staff and members are encouraged to wear a cloth face covering while not in the water and when social distancing cannot be maintained, unless doing so would inhibit the individual’s health.
- Lifeguards should NOT wear a face covering while on duty actively lifeguarding. It is encouraged that lifeguards wear a cloth face covering when they are not on duty actively lifeguarding and cannot maintain social distancing of 6 feet.
- Cloth face coverings should not be put on children under the age of two because of the danger of suffocation. Face covering should NOT be worn in the water.
- Social Distancing is Strongly Encouraged
- We encourage 6 feet social distancing while in the water, unless the individual needs assistance in order to swim, except immediate family members, caretakers, or household members.
- We encourage 6 feet social distancing on the pool deck and grass areas, except immediate family members, caretakers, or household members.
- A social distancing ambassador will be on the deck at all times to promote social distancing practices.
- Restrooms will remain open for the use by our membership. We encourage practicing social distancing while in the restrooms.
- Restrooms will be disinfected by Burnham Pool staff on a regular basis.
- Foot coverings are required when in the restroom and shower area.
- Hands should be washed frequently with soap and water. Hand sanitizer that is at least 60% should be used if soap and water are not available. Do not touch your face (especially eyes, nose or mouth) with unwashed hands. Burnham Pool will have hand sanitizing stations available as well as the restrooms for washing hands with soap and water.
Chairs, Benches, and Picnic Tables
- Chairs and Lounge chairs will not be provided this season.
- Picnic tables will still be available for use near the concession area. The sharing of picnic tables except immediate family members, caretakers, or household members is prohibited.
- We will continue to provide Lifejackets to our members. However, when returning them they must be placed in the “Return Bin” so that we can disinfect them before placing them back on the rack.
- We will not provide kickboards this year.
- Staff: Temperature readings of staff entering the facility will be required daily. Persons that have a fever of 100.4° or above or other signs of COVID-19 illness should not be admitted to the facilities. Morristown Recreation will encourage staff to be on the alert for signs of illness and to stay home when they are sick.
- Members: Screening for fever or signs of COVID-19 illness at designated entry points prior to being permitted to enter the facility will be completed by way of members reading signage. Spot checks may be completed by the front desk attendant by asking about general wellness and symptoms related to COVID-19 including fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting and diarrhea. Anyone exhibiting these symptoms will not be admitted to Burnham Pool.
The finalized opening date, along with the details of all new policies, will be emailed to all members, and posted on the recreation website.
Get your local news delivered to your inbox for FREE each day.Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MorristownTAP/ and on Twitter at @MorristownTAP and on Instagram at @tapintomorristown
Celebrating Something Special? Showcase Your Wedding, Christening, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Graduation, Reunion and MORE on TAPinto Milestone