MORRISTOWN, NJ - Temperatures are expected to climb into the mid to high 90's over the weekend, said weather authorities from the National Weather Service.
According to weather reports, temperatures will hit 90 degrees on Wednesday before climbing to 93 degrees on Friday and 96 degrees on Saturday. The heat wave will continue with temperatures remaining in the 90's through Monday.
The Town of Morristown will open Cooling Centers beginning Tuesday July 16 through Friday July 19. The Morristown Town Hall Senior Center located at 200 South Street, 3rd Floor and the Morristown Fire House located at 161 Speedwell Avenue will be open from 8:30am - 4:30pm.
The New Jersey Office of Emergency Management recommend the following safety tips:
- Find places with air conditioning: Libraries, malls, community centers
- If you are outside, find shade
- Wear loose, lightweight, light colored clothing
- drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated
- avoid high energy activities
- Cover windows with drapes or shades.
- Weather-strip doors and windows.
- Use window reflectors, such as aluminum foil-covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Add insulation to keep the heat out.
- Use attic fans to clear hot air.
- Install window air conditioners and insulate around them.
- Learn to recognize the signs of heat-related illness.
"Take precautions to keep as cool as possible throughout the warm summer months", said town officials. "Be Safe Morristown!"