PARSIPPANY, NJ - There is good news for Parsippany residents who need to get a Passport but don't want to make the trip to Morristown. On Wednesday, November 29th from 9:30am - 2pm the Morris County Clerk's Passport Division will be operating out of the Parsippany municipal building on Parsippany Boulevard.
There will also be an opportunity for new notaries to be commissioned or for existing notaries to obtain commission renewals.
The goal of this new passport outreach is to make it more convenient for residents to obtain passports, especially for people who may not be able to come to the County Clerk’s passport office in Morristown or to get to any passport office due to their working hours.
“We hope this service makes it easier for residents of Parsippany and neighboring towns to obtain passports, which are more vital than ever for travel and also for identification purposes,’’ said Morris County Clerk Ann Grossi.
The “Passport Outreach Program’’ will benefit anyone in need of a new or renewed passport, said Grossi.
The Parsippany municipal building is located at 1001 Parsippany Boulevard, Parsippany, N.J. 07054 (for GPS).
Unlike previous Passport Outreach Program offerings, no appointments are needed. Residents can walk-in for service.
County Clerk Grossi urges anyone interested in using the service to review carefully what they must bring to the passport center, and to call her office if they have any questions.
“We certainly want this process to go smoothly for applicants, so it is important they understand what is required to obtain or renew a passport,’’ Grossi said.
Here is a checklist of what you need to bring with you:
- Citizenship evidence: A certified birth certificate (not a photocopy) listing both parents’ names, or a current passport, or a naturalization certificate, or a consular report of birth abroad.
- Photograph: You must bring a color 2 x 2 photo with white or light background (photos can be obtained at local merchants, such as CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, and other locations)
- Proof of Identification: A driver’s license, previously issued passport, government or military ID, or a naturalization certificate.
- Minors must appear with both parents, properly identified. The child’s original birth certificate issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or the Department of Health and stating both of the parent’s names must be submitted.
- Social Security Numbers are required for all applications (including minors)
- Personal checks, money orders or bank checks are required. Cash, credit cards and debit cards are NOT accepted. There will be two separate payments required for each passport. Please bring adequate blank checks.
- Arrival: Before 1:30pm
If you must expedite the passport process, an expedited process fee is $60 per application and $15.45 for overnight express mail.
Estimated processing times for passports are four-to-six weeks for routine passport service or three weeks for expedited service.
In addition to the “Passport Outreach Program” program, the County Clerk’s passport office, at 10 Court Street in Morristown, is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday thru Friday with Tuesday evening hours until 8 p.m. (but walk-ins must arrive by 7 p.m.).
For more passport information, including costs, call 973-285-6161 or visit http://www.morriscountyclerk.org/index.php/passports/