MOUNTAINSIDE, NJ - Firefighters responded to a report of a fire in a tar kettle about 1 p.m. today, Jan. 27.

According to Fire Chief Anthony Pecorelli, Union County workers doing road work called in the fire after "a kettle used for tar overheated." A small fire broke out and was quickly extinguished by workers, he said. The fire department arrived shortly afterwards, confirmed that the fire was done and stayed on the scene until the kettle and its contents were cool and it was "deemed safe for us to leave," he said. 

The workers had been filling potholes on Summit Road when the fire ignited according to the Chief.

There was no damage to the road and no workers or firefighters were injured.