SUSAN BARBAGLIA, owner of Skin Deep Salon and Spa in New Providence, offers a wealth of knowledge and expertise as a leader in the beauty industry. With over thirty years experience in skin care, Susan can answer your most challenging beauty questions. Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear Susan: How do I get beautiful, thicker brows?
If you’ve ever over tweezed your eyebrows, there’s a chance they didn’t grow back the same. Here are some tips to keep your brows looking amazing and full:
- Using brow pencils or brow powder are the go-to products to give your brows a beautiful look.
- First, measure your brows. Starting at the inside corner of your eye and lining straight up is where your brows should start. You can measure this easily with any straight makeup brush.
- Again, using a makeup brush, measure from outside of your nose to the outer corner of your eye. Along this line is where your brows should end. You can even make a dot there with any brow pencil.
- Be sure to brush out your brows! If you have any unruly, long brow hairs, you could trim them at the top, but only if they are long! Short hairs can be left alone. Any holes or shaping will be done later with product.
- Now with product, if you opt to use a powder in your brow color, we recommend using an angled brush. To avoid your brows looking too harsh, the color you choose for your inner brow should be slightly softer than the outer, or less product can be applied.
- Use short strokes with product to mimic natural hairs. Start at the inner side of the brow and work your way to the outer side gradually. Each stroke should be up in the same natural direction of hair growth.
- Be sure to blend with your brush after you’re finished to make brows look more natural. If the hairs are particularly unruly and you have trouble keeping them in place, try using a brow gel to hold the hairs. The packaging and wand is similar to mascara, so it’s easy to apply.
- For actual growth and maintenance, try out our favorite RevitaBrow. This product is specifically to stimulate hair growth in eyebrows and our clients love the results!
Dear Susan: How should I apply eyeshadows?
There are multiple techniques in applying eye shadow, each giving you a more natural or dramatic look. But here is a solid works-for-everyone technique for a beautiful everyday look:
- Apply any lighter color shade over your entire lid using a small, flat brush.
- Use a small, rounded brush to apply a medium shade into your crease and a small amount into the outer half of your lower lash line. The crease will be the curve above your lid. Be sure to blend very well!
- Use the same round brush to apply a dark shade to the outer corner of the eyelid. When working with a darker color shadow, remember that where the brush touches the eye first will be the darkest spot. So start at the outside and work inward right around the ball of the eye.
- If you’d like a smoky effect, you can extend the dark shade outward and upward. Then, take a larger, fluffy brush to blend the dark color inwards.
Dear Susan: How do you get clearer skin?
Consistently scheduling facials is one of the best ways to achieve and maintain clearer skin!
Facials are particularly helpful for individuals dealing with acne. Acne has a number of causes and factors that affect its severity, from stress to genetics, but a majority of people, especially teens, battle with acne in some form or another. Having a facial once or twice per month with exfoliation and extractions can keep pores unclogged and skin cleansed to prevent break-outs. We highly recommend the Babor Gel and Tonic, as well as the Babor Pure Moisturizing Cream and Mask. Facials can help clear the skin and be more receptive to products, bringing better results and making every drop of product really count.
Skin Deep's favorite treatment for battling acne is glycolic acid peels. A glycolic acid peel will speed cell renewal, exfoliate the dead skin cells on the surface of the pores, clean out any bacteria in the pores, make the skin smoother and healthier looking -- also help with the scaring.