NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ – Buccleuch Mansion, in Buccleuch Park, will be celebrating its grand re-opening with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 1 p.m. today.
The mansion has undergone a $527,000 facelift that has taken more than a year to complete.
The mansion was built in 1739 on a bluff overlooking the Raritan River. George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and John Hancock visited it. So did British soldiers, who according to legend, left their marks that are still visible today on the heavy wood floors.
The mansion has served as the headquarters of the Blue Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution since 1914 and as a house museum interpreting the history of the house and region, particularly its role in the American Revolution.
TAPinto New Brunswick last year chronicled the renovations, which include replacing the shutters with replicas, repairing the front porch and installing steel beams to support the staircase and the walls just below the roof.
The park will also play host today as the Lamb's Artillery Company presents 4th of July music and the reenactment of the feu-de-joie (fire of joy) ordered by General Washington on this location in 1779.