NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ — Take notice, smokers.

City firefighters helped extinguish a fire yesterday evening, March 13, that began after someone tossed a cigarette into a recycling can, according to New Brunswick spokesperson Jennifer Bradshaw. The fire started around 7:12 p.m. near the back porch of a single-family home at 94 Guilden St.

The recycling can caught on fire, burning a portion of the back porch, Bradshaw said.

Sign Up for E-News

People who live at the home “controlled” the blaze with fire extinguishers, she added. But New Brunswick firefighters arrived with a hose to make sure the fire was out.

No one was injured in the fire, according to the city.