NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - A man from Perth Amboy has been sentenced to serve 21 years in a state prison for the aggravated assault of a Perth Amboy man and the attempted murder of police officers, Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey announced Monday.

Isaiah Peralta, 22, of Perth Amboy, was sentenced in Superior Court for second degree aggravated assault for a shooting that took place in the early morning hours of Feb. 16, 2018, and first-degree attempted murder for shooting at police officers when they went to arrest him for the earlier shooting.

Peralta received an aggregate sentence of 21 years in a New Jersey state prison; 8 years for the aggravated assault and 13 years for the attempted murder of police officers. Both sentences are subject the No Early Release Act. As such, the defendant will have to service 85 percent of the term before he can be released on parole. In addition, Peralta is subject to eight years of parole supervision upon his release from prison.

Sign Up for E-News

He was also sentenced to 4 years for shoplifting on Dec. 23, 2017, from the Target in Milltown and to time served on a Violation of Probation. These sentences will run concurrent to the 21-year sentence.

Peralta pleaded guilty on Oct. 29, 2018, in accordance with a plea agreement reached with Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Bina Desai, to second degree aggravated assault from the original incident and first-degree attempted murder of police officers as they attempted to arrest the suspect later that evening. Peralta also pleaded guilty to shoplifting in a plea agreement reached with Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Dana Morton.

On Feb. 15, 2018, at about 2:01 pm, shots were fired in the area of Smith and Prospect streets in Perth Amboy. Based upon an investigation and nearby surveillance videos, Peralta was identified as the shooter.

Later that evening at 10:52 pm, four Perth Amboy detectives were attempting to execute the arrest of Peralta, a suspect wanted for a shooting earlier that morning in Perth Amboy.

The investigation determined that as officers pulled up in a vehicle and began to exit to arrest Peralta, he opened fire. They exited the vehicle, identified themselves as police officers, and certain officers returned fire. No one was struck in the exchange of gunfire.

As reported earlier in a public statement released on Feb.13, 2019, the investigation concerning the use of deadly force in this matter determined that the level of force utilized by the officers were justified.