To ensure a safe and happy holiday season, the New Brunswick Fire Department would like to remind all residents to keep fire safety in mind when decorating their homes:
- When arranging lights and electrical decorations, use proper extension cords designated for indoor and outdoor use. Do not overload electrical outlets when plugging them in.
- When decorating a live indoor tree, make sure to keep the tree watered. Dispose of it once it becomes dry and the needles fall off.
- Inspect all holiday decorations before connecting them to a power source and replace or dispose of any decorations with damaged or frayed wires.
- Battery-operated candles are safer to use than candles with a live flame.
- If live candles are used, make sure they are placed in sturdy holders in locations where they are not at risk of being knocked over.
- Keep holiday decorations at least three feet away from any heat sources, such as radiators, electrical space heaters and candles.