NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ — A lit candle placed too close to a mattress caused a small fire last weekend in New Brunswick, according to the city.

Firefighters responded to a call for a fire at the multi-family dwelling at 214 Suydam St. during the afternoon of Sunday, June 11, when they noticed “a bit of smoke” near the roofline, city spokesperson Jennifer Bradshaw said.

They soon discovered a mattress that had caught fire in a third-floor bedroom, she said. Fire officials pinned the cause on a burning candle near the foot of the bed, she said.

Sign Up for E-News

“Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly, which was contained to the mattress and did not spread to elsewhere in the room or home,” Bradshaw said.

No one reported any injuries as a result of the fire, she noted.

The fire didn’t displace any tenants, either, she said.

New Brunswick’s firefighters received the call at 1:39 p.m. and arrived on scene three minutes later, Bradshaw said.