NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ — It certainly wasn’t the biggest blaze city firefighters have ever battled, but its cause was a bit strange.
Firefighters responded to a fire at the AMC Loews New Brunswick 18 theater off Route 1 after receiving a call at 8:39 p.m., according to a city spokesperson. Upon arrival, they found one of the building’s external light fixtures ablaze.
How did this happen? A squirrel. Yes, one of the furry critters apparently built its nest too close to the light, causing it to ignite, according to the city.
Firefighters quickly cut power to the light fixture and extinguished the fire.
“It was a minor incident and did not extend into the building,” city spokesperson Jennifer Bradshaw said.
No injuries—human, at least—were reported as a result of the fire.