NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - New Brunswick City Center's Oktoberfest is returning for its third annual celebration Saturday.
Oktoberfest is a fall celebration of music, food, beer, and community held on George Street in New Brunswick's City Center from noon to 5 p.m.
Oktoberfest returned to the Hub City in 2017 for the first time in nearly 30 years, starting off a new tradition for New Brunswick. Some 2,000 people attended that festival.
This year's event includes a variety of local and traditional food, craft brews to German beers, unique vendors, live musical entertainment, a traditional Stein Hoisting competition and a children's activity area featuring face painting and caricatures for family fun. Party-goers are encouraged to get into the Oktoberfest spirit by wearing their best dirndl or lederhosen.
The event is open to the public, rain or shine, with food and beverages available for purchase. Proper ID is required.
Contemporary acts and traditional German music will take the stage. This year's lineup includes: Pepperville, The Edelwiss OomPah Band and The Suyat Band.
The local establishments that will be offering craft and seasonal beers for purchase including:
- Blackthorn Irish Pub & Restraurant will be pouring Schofferhoffer and Jack's Abbey Oktoberfest.
- Destination Dogs will be poring tap Hacker-pschorr Oktoberfest, Leinenkugel's Special Ale, Down East Pumpkin Cider and non-alcoholc Hot Mulled Apple Cider.
- Harvest Moon Brewery & Café will be pouring Oktoberfest & Happy Blonde Ale.
- Tavern on George will be pouring Leinenkugel Oktoberfest & Blue Moon Mango Wheat.
Attendees can support the Janice Lopez Ovarian Cancer Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, by purchasing a souvenir mug for use at the festival. The mission of the foundation is to raise money, and spread awareness to support ovarian cancer research and patients. Its vision is to help save the lives of mothers, daughters, sisters and friends.
There will also be food provided by several local vendors:
- Blackthorn Restaurant & Irish Pub serving schnitzel and candied apples.
- Destination Dogs serving bratwurst and hot dogs with beer braised onions, kraut, red cabbage and traditional toppings.
- Harvest Moon Brewery & Café will be serving braised pork and cabbage sandwiches and hard pretzel necklaces.
- Hirs Sausage Market LLC will be selling smoked sausages, bacon and smoked meats.
- Redd's Biergarten will be serving Bavarian Biergarten nachos with pulled pork. and Sauerbraten with red cabbage, meatballs and housemade spaetzel
- Yummy Ice Cream will be serving an assortment of fall and traditional flavors.
This event is sponsored in part by the Middlesex County Regional Chamber of Commerce and Convention and Visitors Bureau.