NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - The school district will be closing schools starting Monday in reaction to the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, according to a statement released by Superintendent Aubrey Johnson.
Schools will remain closed through March 20 and the district will implement its long-range remote instruction plan, or Continuity of Teaching and Learning Plan.
Students will complete schoolwork from home via computers and provided work packets. Parents are asked to encourage their children to participate in the learning activities at home.
"We will continue to monitor the impact of the virus and decide whether schools will be opened or remain closed on a weekly basis," Johnson said in the statement. "The District closure includes all extracurricular and after-school activities, trips, and events. As of today, there are no confirmed cases in our district and we will continue to sanitize our schools regularly."
Starting Monday, the school district will be providing grab-and-go meals for students from 10 a.m. to noon at the following locations:
- Archibald Park (located by McKinley School)
- Kossuth Park (located near Lincoln School)
- Murphy Park (located by Woodrow Wilson)
- Feaster Park (located by Paul Robeson)
Students will be required to present their student ID.
The district will provide updated information related to our Continuity of Teaching and Learning plan and grab-and-go meals on its district website each day.
Since Gov. Phil Murphy's office announced today that there are 50 confirmed cases of coronavirus COVID-19 - including one fatality, a Bergen County man - "health concern does not only affect people physically." So, the district is making resources available for those experiencing anxiety:
- Union First- Jeffery Meyer, 609-534-3919 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Florida House Health Experience (They are in NJ.) Wayne Dibofsky, 908-513-9946 or email@example.com.
- WARM LINE (Dept of Human Services) for individuals with uncertainty/anxiety 877-294-HELP.
For updated information on coronavirus, visit New Brunswick Public Schools website at https://www.nbpschools.net.