NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - Visitors will not be allowed in RWJBarnabas Health hospitals and healthcare facilities, including Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital on Somerset Street.
The new safeguards enacted in respons to the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic will also affect the Child Health Institute on French Street and the Children's Specialized Hospital Outpatient Center on Plum Street.
The ban was a press release on Sunday afternoon and includes the behavior health and outpatient facilties.
Exceptions may be made in certain circumstances:
- Pediatric units (only one parent/guardian will be permitted)
- Maternity and labor and delivery units (only one significant other/support person can visit)
- Neonatal intensive care units (Two parents/support persons can visit)
- Same-day surgery or ambulatory procedures (only one person can visit)
- Pediatric psychiatric patients (only one if/when a mutual agreement between the care team and the parents/guardian has been reached)
According to the press release, extenuating circumstances (such as hospice) will also be considered based on the best interest and needs of the individual patient.
Emergency Department patients may be accompanied by one adult.
Outpatients may be accompanied by one adult (unless an aide or assistant is required).
Approved visitors will be screened for the following and may not be allowed to visit or stay based on:
- Recent international travel history
- Recent domestic travel to areas with widespread COVID-19 infection
- Contact with individuals with known COVID-19
- Cold or flu-like symptoms
- In addition, all visitors should wash their hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer before and after visiting.
Individuals 18 and younger will not be permitted.
"While we are sensitive to the difficulties facing loved ones of hospitalized patients, our healthcare providers must keep patient and staff safety paramount at this unprecedented time," according to the press release. "We encourage family members and friends to use alternative ways to interact with their loved ones, including phone calls, Facetime, Skype and other means."
For the most up-to-date instructions and restrictions for visitation at an RWJBarnabas Health facility, please visit: www.rwjbh.org