NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - The crane that toppled across Hamilton Street and damaged three homes has been removed.

What's left behind are questions as to how it managed to fall from a site where a nine-story building is being constructed for Rutgers student housing and crash onto the roof of a house on Hamilton Street. It also damaged two townhouses on Condict Street.

A fast-moving storm blew through New Brunswick on Sunday night when the crane fell.

Sign Up for New Brunswick Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

No one was hurt, but a spokesperson for the city said an investigation into the incident is ongoing.

The crane has been removed from the roadway and the wrecking ball, which came to rest in the living room of one of the homes on Condict Street, is also gone.

"After doing some assessment, there was only major damage to one of the four units (on Condict Street)," said George Chedid, who helps manage the properties for his father, Joseph, who owns them. "The other unit that was damaged, that was assessed to be roof damage that can be fixed much quicker than our unit that was completely destroyed."

Chedid said the two Rutgers students that were living in the unit that was destroyed had been home for most of the day Sunday. They each decided to leave the townhouse. One of them went to visit her family and returned to find a crane toppled over only 90 minutes earlier.

Chedid said officials allowed the students to go into the damaged home that night to grab some personal belongings. The women have been relocated to another unit the Chedid family owns.

"They have been very cooperative during the process," he said. "They are very happy we were quickly able to move them. They have been helpful in terms of coordinating schedules, meeting with them, making sure they can be moved into another place. By tomorrow, they will be fully moved into their new apartment and they will be staying there as long as they need, as long as we build our new unit again."

Chedid said city officials have worked hard to coordinate efforts to make sure the area is safe, including making sure gas, electric and water lines are secure.

When asked at what point does he start to ask how did this accident happen, he said, "I don't think there's going to be a point where we ask that. I just feel we trust how the process goes. We know that's something they're looking into. We understand that's all going to come in due time."

The company that owns the crane, Vergona Crane, did not respond to a message left by TAPinto New Brunswick seeking comment.