NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - The Board of Education's administrator/secretary will oversee the New Brunswick High School sports program during the school district's search for a new athletic director.
Richard Jannarone will run the program, according to a spokesperson for a public relations firm that represents the school district.
The former athletic director, Craig Lowery, was reassigned earlier this week in the wake of the New Brunswick High School football team's four-game sanction for playing with an ineligible player.
Lowery has been reassigned to supervisor of physical education, health and wellness for grades K-12, according to the Board of Education's Personnel Committee report posted to the school district's website Wednesday.
The Zebras learned last week that their season-opening four victories against Monroe, Dickinson (Jersey City), Edison and Piscataway would be forfeited. The ruling was announced by Greater Middlesex Conference president Jeff DiCocco.
The position for a new athletic director has been posted by the school district.
DiCocco was informed on Oct. 7 that the Zebras had a player who did not sit out the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association-mandated 30-day wait period after transferring to New Brunswick High School in February. That player did not have a bona fide change of address, necessitating the wait period.
Monica Rivera told the school board at its meeting Tuesday that Lowery promised her son, Jordan Lebron, that he would try to get her a waiver from the NJSIAA so he could forgo the 30-day wait.
Rivera said from February through July 16, she repeatedly emailed Lowery to check on the eligibility of her son, senior Jordan Lebron. She said she called Lowery 26 times and "never got anything but a voice mail and no call back."
Board of Education attorney George Hendricks submitted a waiver last week that would have restored the four victories.
In response, the NJSIAA issued a statement through the firm that handles its public relations matters: "Based on established rules, New Brunswick High School’s football team has been assessed a four-game penalty. This concludes the matter, with no player being required to sit out any game or games."