NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ – Turnovers caught up to the New Brunswick High School football team after it controlled much of the first half during Friday night’s 24-7 loss to Edison.

The Eagles returned an interception for a touchdown and, after recovering a New Brunswick fumble, scored on the final play of the first half to gain the lead and momentum.

New Brunswick (1-2), which is scheduled to play at Franklin on Friday, Oct. 23, lost two fumbles and two interception on Friday.

Sign Up for New Brunswick Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The turning point of the game with Edison came after the Zebras had moved the ball from their 19 to the Edison 45, connecting on two third-down plays along the way.

With under a minute to go in the half, New Brunswick went for it on fourth down. Edison recovered a fumble with 12 seconds left. That’s when quarterback Matt Yascko heaved a 62-yard touchdown pass to give the Eagles a 14-7 lead on the last play of the first half.

Up until then, New Brunswick controlled most of the first half. The Zebras ran 31 offensive plays to the Eagles’ 22, and Edison didn’t run a play on New Brunswick’s side of the 50 until there was 6:35 to go in the second quarter.

New Brunswick bounced back after Edison intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown 2:15 into the game. It came on the Zebras’ first snap from scrimmage.

New Brunswick mounted a drive that started on its on 40. On a first-and-10 from the Edison 19, Amier Alford appeared to be stopped after a 5- or 6-yard gain. However, he somehow burst from the pile of blockers and tacklers and sprinted into the end zone to tie the game at 7.

Alford was bright spot for the Zebras with 18 rushes for 76 yards and a touchdown in the first half.

New Brunswick looked like it was going to drive in the second quarter for a go-ahead touchdown, moving the ball to the Edison 13. The Eagles, however, picked off a pass to thwart the drive.

The game at Memorial Stadium was played under a steady rain for most of the second half as the Zebras struggled to get their offense to click.

The one time the Zebras got into their offensive rhythm in the second half, penalties set them back. A second and 13 from the Edison 16 became a second and 23 from the Edison 26 after two straight false starts.

Although a defensive holding call on Edison gave the Zebras a reprieve, the Zebras could not connect on a fourth-down pass and turned the ball over on downs.