MILLBURN, NJ - The seeds have been released for the District 16 Wrestling Tournament at Millburn High School on Saturday. First round starts at 9:30 a.m. with the finals tentatively set to begin at 6:30 p.m. With 10 teams in the tournament, the Pioneers have qualified in 8 weight classes.
Most schools in the state qualify for the district tournament regardless of the team's record during the regular season. The top three place winners in each weight class will advance to the regional tournament, which takes place next weekend. From there, the top three place winners at regionals compete for an individual state title in a tournament that is held the first weekend in March.
Pioneer wrestlers will be competing in the following weight classes:
- 106 pounds - #2 seed sophomore John Palmer, John (16-12)
- 113 pounds - #10 seed freshman Connor Gavagan (3-18)
- 138 pounds - #1 seed junior Owen Smith (29-7)
- 145 pounds - #3 seed senior Mike Bottazzi (10-18)
- 152 pounds - #4 seed sophomore Joe Delia (18-4)
- 160 pounds - #3 seed senior Chris Reynolds (23-3)
- 170 pounds - #1 seed senior Doug Chacon (22-8)
- 182 pounds - #5 seed senior Dante Tripicchio (20-16)
New Providence will be competing in the District 16 Tournament against fellow high school varsity wrestlers from Bridgewater-Raritan, Colonia, Iselin Kennedy, Millburn, Newark Academy, Shabazz, Union, Voorhees and Watching Hills.
The NJSIAA District Wrestling Tournament is the first of three steps that lead to an individual state title in the sport.