Ukrainians do not tend to follow recipes exactly, preferring to uniquely customize recipes according to personal taste, preference and mood.
Christine Morgan's “interpretation” of Ukranian Pizzelles
1 1/2 cups flour
2-3 teaspoons baking powder
3 large eggs
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup purified sweet butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons whole anise seed
1/2 teaspoon anise extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch kosher salt
Sign Up for E-News
1. Sift flour and baking powder together.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until smooth.
3. Slowly blend in butter until smooth being careful not to overbeat.
4. Blend in anise seed and extract.
5. Add sifted flour and baking powder to egg mixture one small scoop at a time, blending in between.
6. Add pinch of salt and blend.
7. Spoon onto a hot pizzelle iron, baking until golden. Cool on wired racks.
*If rolling, roll pizzelle when warm. Cool on wire racks before filling.
*If decorating, wait until flat or rolled pizzelle is cooled.
*Store in cool dry sealed container.
*If dusting with sugar, dust right before serving.
Editor's Note: Share your favorite holiday cookie recipe along with a photo with your family tradition. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org to share in TAPinto's Cookie Palooza.