Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) has completed upgrades on more than 80 major circuits this year to enhance customer reliability. Overall, the modernization work will help reduce the number and duration of service interruptions for more than 113,000 customers in central and northern New Jersey.
Among the projects completed was an upgrade of equipment in the area known as the Great Swamp in Chatham Borough. The work required installing planking to allow workers to safely access the poles and wires while protecting the natural vegetation. After gaining access, crews installed modern polymer insulators, replaced wooden cross arms with fiberglass arms, along with inspecting other equipment.
The circuit enhancement work is part of JCP&L’s plan to invest $387 million on infrastructure projects in 2016.
“Circuit upgrades serve an important role in enhancing service to customers,” said Tony Hurley, vice president of Operations for JCP&L. “As we prepare for the upcoming winter season, the work that has been completed will help prevent or reduce the duration of service interruptions to customers.”
The upgrade work included installing more resilient fuses, animal guards and lightning protection devices; enhanced tree trimming efforts; replacing wooden cross arms at the top of utility poles; and installing fault indicators that help pinpoint problem areas, helping to speed the restoration process if an outage occurs. In addition, automated equipment was added to the distribution system that allows JCP&L to automatically detect the location of faults and quickly restore the vast majority of customer served by the line while other repairs are made.
Over the past several months circuit upgrades were completed in the following counties and municipalities:
- Essex– Livingston Township and Millburn Township
- Hunterdon – Alexandria Township, Bethlehem Township, Bloomsbury Borough, Clinton Township, East Amwell Township, Frenchtown Borough, Holland Township, Kingwood Township, Lebanon Township, Raritan Township, Readington Township, and Tewksbury Township
- Monmouth – Borough of Fair Haven, Borough of Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Howell Township, Borough of Keansburg, Borough of Little Silver, Middletown Township, Borough of Neptune City, Neptune Township, Ocean Township, Borough of Red Bank, Borough of Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury Township, Upper Freehold Township and Wall Township
- Morris – Borough of Chatham, Chatham Township, Borough of Chester, Chester Township, Denville Township, Florham Park Borough, Jefferson Township, Kinnelon Borough, Mendham Township, Morris Township, Town of Morristown, Mount Arlington Borough, Borough of Mountain Lakes, Parsippany-Troy Hills Township, Township of Randolph, Borough of Riverdale, Rockaway Township, Roxbury Township and Washington Township
- Ocean – Barnegat Township, Borough of Beachwood, Berkeley Township, Brick Township, Lacey Township, Lakewood Township, Manchester Township, Borough of Ocean Gate, Plumsted Township and Toms River Township
- Passaic – Borough of Ringwood, Borough of Wanaque and Township of West Milford
- Somerset County – Bedminster Township and Branchburg Township
- Sussex County – Fredon Township, Green Township, Hampton Township, Borough of Ogdensburg, Sparta Township, Vernon Township and Walpack Township
- Union County – Borough of Mountainside, Borough of New Providence, Springfield Township and City of Summit
- Warren – Blairstown Township, Harmony Township, Hope Township, Independence Township, Knowlton Township, Lopatcong Township, Mansfield Township and White Township