Downtown Improvement District is looking to hire a Manager/Director. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org Below is more information about the Downtown Improvement District and objectives for the position.
Goal: Enhance Membership
- Listen to the concerns of the membership
- Unify the downtown business and property owners - Get the membership involved
Goal: Communication - Make sure everyone in the district is informed and understands why this is good for business.
- Meet with individual property/business owners and share these goals and objectives.
- Develop a data base with contact information for all property owners and business owners within the district.
- Provide regular (at least monthly) updates to the district via an email blast with relevant information about projects impacting the business district.
Goal: Create a common/shared goal or vision for the downtown.
- Develop plan to attract shoppers to Downtown New Providence.
- Review opportunities to enhance or ensure adequate parking – ease of access.
- Walkability and ease of access from surrounding neighborhoods.
- Encourage businesses to open one evening per week – it used to be Thursdays.
Goal: Develop plan for sustained marketing effort
- Increase the number & frequency of downtown events.
- Develop a plan to attract & embrace Lantern Hill residents.
- Consider a marketing plan for New Providence residents and plan to attract people from outside of New Providence.
- Consider a marketing plan for our corporate neighbors.
Goal: Enhance Pedestrian Safety:
- Consider plans that could reduce the number of driveways.
- Work with property owners to identify and remedy poorly striped and signed parking lots.
- Utilize off duty police officers during the holiday season to assist with traffic control and the driveways to the Village Shopping Center.
- Consider walkability plans within the district. Review and consider obstacles to easy pedestrian access within the district.
- Consider mid-block crossings – on Springfield Avenue and South Street.
Goal: Enhance beautification efforts within the district
- Consolidation of dumpsters including dumpster enclosures.
- Develop a plan to assure landscaping is attended to regularly.
- Consider seasonal plantings, at least three times per year.
- Consider seasonal holiday decorations – coordinate with banner rotation.
- Assure Downtown maintenance is regularly scheduled (power wash sidewalks, debris removal, parking lot cleaning) – Coordinate a shared effort among property owners.
Goal: Enhance opportunities for Outdoor seating areas.
- Work with local officials to identify suitable locations for outdoor dining.
- Encourage restaurants to consider outdoor dining.
Goal: Attract new/more Business
- Prepare a “Why move to or open a business in New Providence” fact sheet.
- Rehabilitation of downtown properties.
- Full utilization of limited downtown retail/restaurant space.
- Identify and engage commercial real-estate brokers.
- Engage absentee property owners.
- Meet with parties interested in opening a business in New Providence and share the vision for our community.
- Assist new businesses by proving local contacts to government officials, DID and NPBPA members. Encourage membership and participation in both groups.
Goal: Enhance relationship with local government(s)
- Engage the Borough Council, Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment and borough committees when appropriate. They should be aware of the goals & objectives of the district.
- Share information with the Borough Council Liaison to the DID (currently Mayor Morgan) and ask that he share information with other members of council during his reports.
Goal: Develop plan for financial stability of the district
- Set aside adequate funds in the yearly budgets.
- Manage fund balance prudently for unanticipated expenses and situations.
- Be able to demonstrate results - a tangible return on membership’s investment