NEW PROVIDENCE, NJ - The New Providence Fire Department, along with mutual aid from surrounding towns responded to a 7:15 a.m. call on Sunday to a three story frame multiple family house fire on Delwick Lane in New Providence.
After an investigation, it was determined the origin of the fire was from a lit candle and no foul play is suspected, according to authorities.
"With assistance, all occupants were able to escape the blaze and no occupants or First Responders were injured or needed to go to the hospital," said Sgt. Don Sretenovic of the NPPD.
The New Providence Police, Fire, and EMS responded along with mutual assistance from the fire departments of Berkeley Heights, Chatham Township, Chatham Borough, and Stirling along with town coverage from Summit and Plainfield. The Union County Mutual Aid Coordinator along with the Union County Arson Squad and New Providence Detective Bureau responded.
The New Providence Fire Department's Ladies Auxiliary Unit and Red Cross personnel were at the the scene to render assistance.