SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ - The seeds have been released for the District 12 Wrestling Tournament at South Plainfield High School this weekend. Preliminaries and quarterfinals are at 6 p.m. Friday. Semifinals are at 10 a.m. Saturday and finals are at 3 p.m. Saturday.
Most schools in the state qualify for the district tournament regardless of the team's record during the regular season. The top three place winners in each weight class will advance to the regional tournament, which takes place next weekend. From there, the top three place winners at regionals compete for an individual state title in a tournament that is held the first weekend in March.
Pioneer wrestlers will be competing in the following weight classes:
- 113 pounds - #4 seed freshman John Palmer (13-8)
- 120 pounds - #3 seed sophomore Owen Smith (28-7)
- 126 pounds - #8 seed senior Alexander Felezzola (10-18)
- 132 pounds - #7 seed sophomore Michael DeMeo (8-18)
- 138 pounds - #7 seed junior Michael Bottazzi (4-24)
- 145 pounds - #1 seed senior Tyler Gazaway (33-0)
- 152 pounds - #7 seed freshman Joseph Delia (13-15)
- 160 pounds - #9 seed freshman Mario Fuentes (1-5)
- 170 pounds - #3 seed junior Chris Reynolds (28-7)
- 182 pounds - #4 seed junior Andrew Joachim (17-11)
- 195 pounds - #6 seed junior Doug Chacon (9-8)
- 220 pounds - #10 seed junior Dante Tripicchio (2-12)
New Providence will be competing in the District 12 Tournament against fellow high school varsity wrestlers from Watchung Hills, Middlesex/Dunellen, South Plainfield, Gov. Livingston, Colonia, Plainfield, North Plainfield, A.L. Johnson, and Rutgers Prep.