On Thursday, June 13, the Summit Area YMCA will be participating in the Summit Downtown Family Fun Night community event in offering a Healthy Kids Corner in the Bank Street Parking. The Healthy Kids Corner aims to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active throughout the summer and is a part of the Y’s national initiative of Healthy Kids Day. This special initiative focuses on improving health and well-being for kids and families. The Healthy Kids Corner of the Family Fun Night event features activities such as carnival games, arts and crafts, family Zumba, fitness activities, healthy snack ideas, pool safety tips, booths with local health vendors and much more to motivate and teach families how to develop and maintain healthy routines at home throughout the summer months.
Healthy Kids Day is an initiative celebrated at over 1,500 Ys across the country by over one million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days. Instead, the Y wants families to focus on helping children imagine what they can accomplish over the summer.
“When a child is healthy, happy, and supported they can make great things happen,” says Sue Fieseler, Director of Community Wellness of the Summit YMCA. “We believe in the potential of all children, and we strive to help kids find that potential within themselves. A child’s development is never on vacation and Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity to educate families and motivate kids to stay active in spirit, mind and body throughout the summer,” said Terri Clinton, Executive Director of the Summit YMCA.
In partnership with Summit Downtown, Reeves Reed Arboretum, the Visual Arts Center of NJ and more local organizations, various fun and healthy activities will be offered to the community throughout the Bank Street Parking lot and down Beechwood Road.
KEEPING KIDS HEALTHY ALL SUMMER LONG
In celebration of the YMCA’s Healthy Kids Corner on Family Fun Night, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits this summer that can have a lifetime effect:
• High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings of fruits and veggies each day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend for healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
• Read Together – The summer is a great time to enjoy books with summer program participants—and 30 minutes a day goes a long way! Take trips to the local library or create a family reading challenge to see who can log the most minutes of reading. Encourage youth to create their own stories as well.
• Get Moving! – Activities that require movement also help kids flex their mental muscle. Use materials in unique ways: ask youth to build models, manipulate tools or develop their own theatrical scenes.
• Play Together – Play may be the best way to prevent childhood obesity. By putting more play into your family’s day, you will soon find yourself getting the activity that will have your family feeling energized and strong.
• Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, and learning.
The Summit YMCA’s Healthy Kids Corner takes place at the Bank Street Parking lot from 4PM-8PM. For more information, contact the Summit YMCA at (908) 273-3330 or visit www.thesay.org/hkd.
Are the kids in your life already dreaming of summer? When kids are inspired, they can do anything. Let’s awaken their imagination so they can explore new activities and healthy habits. Our goal is to get kids more active and engaged in learning through healthy eating habits and a more active lifestyle.
Join us at Summit Family Fun Night to engage in great Healthy Kid activities!
WHEN: THURSDAY, JUNE 13
• Carnival games
• Arts and crafts provided by Visual Arts Center of New Jersey
• Family Zumba
• Fitness activities
• Healthy snack ideas
• Pool safety tips
• Local health vendors
Please note, Beechwood Road and Bank Street will be closed to through traffic beginning at 12PM noon. There will be no parking on Beechwood Road, Bank Street, or the Bank Street Parking Lot.
Learn more about Summit's Family Fun Night at: https://www.summitdowntown.org/events/family-fun-night/