It is too often we start our mornings in a state of stress. Start the day like that, and for the rest of the day, you are in survival mode. Instead, take steps to take back your mornings and start the day off the way you deserve!
- Water – After sleeping for eight or so hours, your body needs to hydrate. Start your morning off with two cups (16oz) of water. This is good for body and mind. Our brain is mostly made of water (75%) as such it needs water to operate at full capacity. Other effects of drinking water immediately include kick starting your metabolism and aiding in flushing toxins. These are all imperative functions to helping you operate optimally and will improve your performance at work.
- Breakfast – Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you are a small business owner chances are you will have a million things come up which will stop you from eating lunch. Ensure that you have some food in your system to fuel your busy day.
- Know When to Avoid the Screen – Wait at least 20 minutes after waking up. Allow your mind and your eyes to get adjusted and moving before stressing them with work emails or phone calls. Use these first 20 minutes to get re-acquainted with the world around you and it will make you more productive. This is also true before bedtime. Avoid looking at your phone or a computer screen for at least 20 minutes before bed. When you look at a screen it can overstimulate your pineal gland which is essential to your sleep function. This endocrine gland located in the brain produces melatonin, a serotonin derived hormone, which affects the modulation of sleep patterns.
- Meditate – Another twenty minute routine! Take time in the morning to meditate. Meditating has been proven to improve concentration, memory and your overall mental well-being. Meditating is a great way to start the day and will improve your overall performance throughout your busy day.
- Stretch – Your body has just been cramped in sleep for the whole night. Upon waking, take a deep breath and stretch. Most people will remain sitting for the majority of the day and this simple activity will quickly make you feel better.
These simple morning and evening tips will help you fight off stress during the day and make you happier and more productive. Even if you can only do one or two of these techniques a day, you should see some results.
I would like to thank Patrick Coughlin for his help on preparing this article with me. Patrick is a Senior Marketing Analyst at Consultants 2 Go. Don’t forget, you can email me at Peggy@Consultants2Go.com with any questions you might have and I’ll be glad to answer them. You can also follow my business and me on Twitter @peggymchale and @consultants2go.
Peggy is the co-founder of Consultants 2 Go® (C2G), a consulting firm that provides marketing solutions to Fortune 500 companies in the Financial Services, Telecom, Life Sciences and other industries. Consultants 2 Go was just named to the Inc. 500/5000 List as one of the fastest growing companies in the United States. Prior to starting C2G, Peggy was a Vice President at American Express. She holds an MBA from St. John’s University and a BA from the College of Mount Saint Vincent. She recently served as a member of the Advisory Board for The Academy of Our Lady of Peace, New Providence, NJ.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.