Spring is here and it’s the perfect time to start cleaning! Now is a great time to assess what needs to be organized, what can be discarded, and what needs to go to long term storage. Here are some items to consider while you grab the duster:
- Streamline Expenses – Find an easy program to use so you can track your receipts and streamline your expenses. This way, come tax season, you have all the receipts for your write-offs ready and documented.
- Proper Forms – Make sure your important documents are stored safely and backed up with the appropriate software. Review the forms you are required to use and make sure they are the right version.
- Moving Forward- Implement the proper filing procedure that makes sense for your business. You can always clean up the past as you move forward. For the clean-up of digital files, I would advise not trying to take care of everything in one day. This leaves a lot of room for error. Instead break it up into manageable increments.
- Consolidate Your Cloud Storage – Between the amounts you pay for cloud space every year, and the free space that comes with other services, make sure you are utilizing your cloud to the fullest capacity. The best advice one can give when utilizing cloud technology is to be cognizant of security. Create a directory for all of your cloud storage and make sure it lists the purpose and the items stored in it.
- Track Your Passwords – How many times have you told yourself, you are going to make a password cheat sheet? Actually do it this spring. Set up an excel sheet that has all your online user ID’s and passwords. Those who want to go above and beyond should also include columns for their security questions and any other security features, such as a pin. It is best not to store this document in the cloud and be sure to password protect this sheet. Just makes sure you don’t forget the password!
- Reflect On Long Term Goals – Now that we are a quarter into the year, think of what you have accomplished versus what you want to accomplish this year.
- Physically Clean The Office – We saved the best for last. Now that you organized your office, let’s clean it. When was the last time that you wiped down your desk, cleaned all the computer keyboards, phones or vacuumed your office rug?
Follow these tips and continue with them and you should have a more organized, streamlined year.
I would like to thank Patrick Coughlin for his help on preparing this article with me. Patrick is a Marketing Analyst at Consultants 2 Go. Don’t forget, you can email me at Peggy@Consultants2Go.com with any questions you might have and I’ll be glad to answer them. You can also follow my business and me on Twitter @peggymchale and @consultants2go.