The New Providence Memorial Library is excited to announce the launch of their CONTACTLESS PICKUP service of physical library materials!!! That's right, patrons can borrow physical books with paper pages again!! The library remains closed to the public, but staff is working to fulfill online and phone hold requests for pickup in the library's front foyer.
How Contactless Pickup Works
- Use our online catalog to place holds on the items you want.
- Log in with your library card barcode and PIN. Your PIN number is the last four digits of your library card.
- Holds are limited to a maximum of 10 per card.
- Don't have Internet? Call the library at (908) 665-0311 to place up to 5 holds over the phone.
- Receive an email notification or a phone call when your items are available for pickup.
- Walk up to the front entrance of the library between the hours of Monday - Friday, 10am - 4 pm.
- Join the line if there is one. The sidewalk has been marked with green x's that are 6 feet apart.
- When it's your turn at the library's front door, scan the table for the bag with your name on it. Bags and wrapped items are in alphabetical order by last name.
- Take your bag or item and go. Your items will be checked out to you ahead of time. A receipt with the due date will be in the bag or inside the item.
- If you need to speak with staff, call the library on your cell phone at (908) 665-0311.
Patrons can utilize either Contactless Pickup, or continue to use the Library's digital resources for eBooks and audioBooks. All types of reading counts, especially for logging books for the annual SUMMER READING program.
This year's Summer Reading program at the New Providence Memorial Library is 100% online through the READsquared platform. Patrons may register online through READsquared as of Wednesday, June 24 to participate.
This year's program, "Imagine Your (Virtual) Story," includes reading logs, events and mission challenges, all through the READsquared (R2) online platform. Patrons can choose to use R2 via web browser or through a free app they can download to any mobile device.
For each book read, event attended, or mission completed, patrons will earn points toward their Summer Reading goal. Small prizes are awarded at various mid-points along the way, which can be delivered to NP residents' homes by teen volunteers. At the end of the Summer Reading program in August, there will be six random drawings for GRAND PRIZES from those who reached their 1,000 point goal. Two adult, two teen, and two children winners will be drawn to receive gift certificates to local NP restaurants and businesses.
The Library is offering additional book recommendation services this summer, as well as a new way to Browse Our Shelves by genre to help patrons find titles they'll enjoy while they can't enter the building.
The New Providence Memorial Library is proud to bring library resources to the public in as many new innovative ways as possible, while keeping the community safe. Happy Reading, New Providence!