NEW PROVIDENCE, NJ - Melissa Sullivan brings her expertise in senior fitness to her role at Lantern Hill, the senior living community in New Providence, New Jersey, developed and managed by Erickson Living.
As the community’s fitness coordinator, she has developed Lantern Hill’s on-site fitness center program from little participation to 30 classes with an average of 20 people per class. Sixty percent of the residents at Lantern Hill come to the programs offered at the Fitness Center. Residents are staying fit and having fun by working out in the state-of-the-art fitness centers on campus, participating in group exercises classes, swimming laps in the indoor pool, and walking the community's scenic walking trails.
Here are Sullivan’s five tips for seniors to stay healthy in the New Year.
- Drink Plenty of Water. Six to eight 8 oz. glasses per day, minimum.
- Consider adding flexibility to your routine. Stretching helps with posture and balance. Yoga is a great place to start. There are 3 chair yoga classes at Lantern Hill.
- Skip desserts. The sugar does nothing for you. Once in a while, for special occasions is fine, but try not to make a habit of dessert. Weighing less as you age puts less strain on your heart.
- Keep stimulated. Find activities that are fun that keep you interested. Reading, crafts, cards, fitness classes, trips, music, art. Anything that keeps your mind working. Memory is a muscle, too. Keep working your brain.
- If an injury has kept you out of the gym, time to revisit a doctor. There may be ways to get you back in the game and working out. If you find yourself making excuses because of arthritis, for instance, educate yourself on ways to keep moving.
Prior to coming to Lantern Hill, Sullivan was teaching group exercise at a variety of gyms in the area. Her certifications vary from Zumba to Mat Science, Senior Fitness, Aqua Fitness, Indoor Cycling, Barre, Pilates, Kickboxing, Stress Management, Nutrition and Personal Fitness Training. Prior to her career in fitness, she worked in finance and in radio and television, as on air talent.
For more information on Lantern Hill, visit www.lanternhillcommunity.com.
About Lantern Hill: Lantern Hill, one of 20 continuing care retirement communities developed and managed by Erickson Living®, is situated on a scenic 26-acre campus in New Providence, New Jersey. The not-for-profit community of more than 390 residents and 300 employees is governed by its own board of directors, affiliated with National Senior Campuses, who provide independent financial and operational oversight of the community. Additional information about Lantern Hill can be found at LanternHillCommunity.com.