The COVID-19 pandemic has brought New Providence and our surrounding communities into uncharted territory as our lives and routines have been temporarily disrupted. In our “new normal” of social distancing, please rest assured that although the New Providence Municipal Center and the DeCorso Community Center are closed to the public, municipal workers are still working to keep our town running.
The Borough of New Providence has started a “Senior Buddy” program as an outreach to our most vulnerable population. We are connecting our seniors with borough employees who will be checking in with anyone who feels they may need a little help making it through this time. “Buddies” will have information available about grocery store and pharmacy hours, food delivery, as well as just checking in to brighten someone’s day. If you are a resident of New Providence and would like a “Buddy”, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the DeCorso Community Center at (908) 665-0046 (messages are being checked regularly). In the event of a true emergency, please dial 911.
WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING NOW?
Continue to take care of your physical and mental well-being.
- Move and get physical exercise as you always did. Take walks (practice social distancing - 6ft) or stretch your body by moving around the house.
- Stay in touch with family, friends and caregivers
- Eat and stay hydrated
- Take medications as usual
- Do something fun!
- Crafts, puzzles, card games
- Write a letter
- Record a favorite story or memory
- Watch movies or TV shows
- Read a great book
WHO CAN I CALL?
DeCorso Community Center
- Phone: 908-665-0046 *leave a message and we will call you back
- New Providence Senior Shuttle: Shoprite trips on Tuesdays and Thursdays (if necessary) during early morning senior shopping hours. Please call on Mondays to reserve your spot.
New Providence Public Health Nurse
- Phone: 908-743-1049
Union County Division on Aging
- Phone: 888-280-8226
Westfield Regional Health Department
- Phone: 908-789-4070
- website: http://www.westfieldnj.gov/health
- Phone: 800-222-1222