NEWTON, NJ - The Newton Town Council presented the Proclamation of Child Abuse Prevention Month to be the month of April at their bi-monthly meeting on Monday, April 27.
“Child abuse and neglect is a complex and ongoing problem in our society, affecting many children in Sussex County…,” read Deputy Mayor Dan Flynn from the proclamation.
The proclamation was presented to Ginnie’s house. Their mission statement on their website ginnieshouse.org/ says that “When child abuse is suspected, disclosed or reported, victims will find Ginnie’s House to be a child-friendly place that reduces further trauma by coordinating the child protection, law enforcement, prosecution, healthcare and mental health agencies.”
Victoria Simeone, an intern at Ginnie’s house, accepted the proclamation on behalf of the non-profit corporation. Flynn and council woman Sandra Diglio presented the proclamation to Simeone.
“We, The Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Newton, hereby proclaim April as Child Abuse Prevention Month, and call upon our citizens, community agencies, faith groups, medical facilities, and businesses to increase their participation in the efforts to support families, thereby preventing child abuse and strengthening the communities in which we live,” stated the proclamation.
Ginnie’s House invited all Mayors of all municipalities to proclaim April as Child Abuse Prevention Month. So far the following towns have made the proclamation:
- Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders – proclamation made March 25
- Hamburg Borough – proclamation made April 6
- Stillwater Township – proclamation made April 7
- Wantage Township – proclamation read April 10
- Andover Township – proclamation read April 13
- Vernon Township – proclamation read April 13
- Stanhope – proclamation read April 14
- Hopatcong – proclamation read April 15
- Newton – proclamation read April 27
To see Newton’s full proclamation visit: http://newtontownhall.com/index.aspx and view the agenda attachments from Monday’s meeting.
Ginny’s House website ginnieshouse.org/