NEWTON, NJ—Despite having had to contend with injuries, the Newton High School boys and girls cross country teams had their first tri-meet on Tuesday, September 19 against Wallkill and Lenape.
The boys’ scores were Newton -24 vs. Lenape-34 and Newton-35 vs. Wallkill-24, while the girls’ scores were Newton-27 vs. Wallkill-29 and Newton-40 vs. Lenape-15.
“We have had some injuries early in the season which has now left us with six girls and nine boys”, said Head Coach Diana Eigner. “The girls’ record is 1-4 and the boys’ record is 3-2. The teams' goals each meet is to continue to gather strength and confidence while bringing down their times. We had a lot of personal best times from the meet on Tuesday.”
The results of the top seven athletes from the boys’ team and the top six athletes from the girls’ team are as follows:
- Michael Rizzo (junior) - 4th - 17:39
- Andrew Gratti (senior, first year) - 5th - 17:43
- Danny Florio (junior) - 6th - 18:20
- Peter Van Orden (sophomore) - 14th - 19:38
- Bryce George (sophomore, first year) - 15th - 19:59
- Jakob Napholz (junior) - 16th - 20:06
- Joe Zuzze - 21st - 21:36
- Vanessa Adams (junior) - 7th - 22:12
- Sarah Phillips (freshman) - 9th - 24:01
- Taegan Murray (sophomore) - 11th - 24:28
- Reese Matonis (senior) - 12th - 24:43
- Brie Dul (senior) - 13th - 26:46
- Natalie Dombroskok (junior) - 15th - 27:03
“The sixth and seventh runners on our boys’ team displaced two of Lenape's top five runners, while our sixth girl displaced Wallkill's fifth girl,” said Eigner.
Newton will be taking on High Point and Kittatinny on Tuesday, September 26, home beginning at 4 p.m.