NEWTON, NJ—The Newton High School girls tennis team got shut out this week by both Vernon and Kittatinny.
Newton lost to Vernon 5-0 on Wednesday and lost to Kittatinny on Thursday in the first round of the NJSIAA North Jersey, Section 1, Group 1 tournament. The results of both matches are asd follows:
Newton vs. Vernon:
- Christine Birkland (V) won over Isabella Velasco (N), 6-2, 6-0
- Alyssa Sasso (V) won over Oliva Sylvester (N), 6-1, 6-1
- Julia Rogers (V) won over Natalie Smith (N), 6-1, 6-0
- Fran Senor and Erika Sofis (V) won over Grace Vigorito and Erica Hvizdos (N), 7(7)-6(2), 1-6, 16-14
- Audrey Halatin and Alyssa Koehler (V) won through a Newton forfeit
Newton vs. Kittatinny:
- Daniella Weber (K) won over Isabella Velasco (N), 6-0, 6-0
- Maddie Nowatnick (K) won over Rose Deryder (N) 6-2, 6-3
- Samantha Givone (K) won over Oliva Sylvester (N), 6-4, 6-2
- Kayla Bocuzzo and Alexis Cooke (K) won over Lauren Ehrenberg and Natalie Smith (N), 6-4, 6-2
- Katie Albinski and Kaylee Stenderowicz (K) won over Erica Hvizdos and Grace Vigorito (N), 6-0, 6-0
The Newton Girls Tennis Team is now 3-8 overall this season and 3-7 in their conference division as they move ahead to take on Lenape Valley on Wednesday, October 11, away beginning at 4 p.m.