NEWTON, NJ—The Newton High School girls tennis team won a close match against Wallkill Valley on Tuesday, when they played them home and won 3-2.
“The match was a highly competitive one which came down to the last couple of matches to determine a winner,” said Head Coach Chris Boyle.
The results of the matches are as follows:
- Natalia Kril (WV) won over Isabella Velasco (N), 4-6, 7(7)-6(4), 6-2
- Weronika Wasinowska (WV) won over Rose Deryder (N) 6-1, 6-4
- Olivia Sylvester (N) won in three sets
“There is no doubt that we were able to win due to the outstanding effort by all of our players but specifically out of Olivia Sylvester at third singles. Olivia lost the first set but then went on to win the next two sets in a marathon match that lasted over three hours”, said Boyle.
- Lauren Ehrenberg and Natalie Smith (N) won over Emily Murphy and Katie Andrews (WV), 6-2, 6-3
- Grace Vigorito and Erica Hvizdos (N) won by forfeit on Wallkill’s part, 6-0,6-0, 0-0
“As far as the season goes”, said Boyle, “the girls have been putting forth great effort every match and it seems as if the league is very even with highly competitive matches taking place every day.”
The Newton High School girls tennis team took on Sussex Tech on Wednesday with a 2-4 overall record this far this season.