NEWTON, NJ—The Newton High School Football team, under the direction of second year coach, Matt Parzero, is looking forward to a new season, after losing only six of their key performers from last year.
“The boys are highly committed and are working toward achieving their goals,” Parzero said about his outlook for this season.
Last year, in Parzero’s first season as head coach of the Newton team, the team ended the season with a record of 8-2.
Returning players include:
- Chase Cramer, senior, running back/defensive back
- Luke Young, senior, quarterback/defensive back
- Will Larsen, senior, running back/line backer
- Jaiden Elliott senior, wide receiver/defensive back
- Ryan Kaiser, junior, tight end/linebacker
- Johnny VanNess, senior, tight end/defensive end
- Justin Samiljen, senior, Offensive lineman
- Devin Mager, senior, Offensive lineman
- Justin Mayhood, junior, Offensive lineman
- Wyatt McCarthy, junior, running back/Defensive back
- Donte Northe, senior, running back/defensive back
- Paul Casperson, senior, Offensive lineman
- Joey Deluca, senior, Offensive lineman
- Matt Somers, junior, Defensive lineman
- Jimmy Harding, junior, Defensive lineman
- Christian Brock, senior, Defensive lineman
- Nico Sebastiano, senior, Wide receiver
Newcomers to the Newton team include:
- Noah Sharp, senior, running back/defensive back
- Nick Brigante, junior running back/defensive end
- Troy Babcock, senior, defensive end
- Michael Freda, junior quarterback/defensive back
- Billy Ippolitto, senior Offensive Lineman/Defensive Lineman
The six key performance players that were lost this year due to graduation were:
- Scott Price
- Gift Ingabire
- Nick Giordano
- Colin Kelly
- Nick Polack
- Marcus Coward
While the players will be missed, the returning players and newcomers outweigh the number of players lost according to team officials.
The Newton High School Football team will begin their season on Saturday, September 9 away against Kittatinny beginning at 1 p.m.