NEWTON, NJ—It was tough going for the Newton High School wrestling team as they competed in the Henry Boresch Duals on Saturday, Jan 16. They faced Hanover Park, Caldwell and Cliffside Park winning against Cliffside Park.
They faced Hanover Park, losing 48-13. Wresting at 285 pounds, Tyler Pittenger beat Daniel Jimenez with a fall. Jake DeLuca won in a 7-3 decision over Marco Zecca wrestling at 145 pounds. Jonothan Borgognoni won in a Major Decision 10-0 against Nick Zarra in the 152 pound weight class.
Newton also faced off against Caldwell losing 39-20. The successful matches were
- 113: Matthew Rosa in a 10-2 Major Decision over Matthew Goldbach
- 126: Michael Cleary over Jason Frank with a fall
- 132: Wyatt McCarthy in a 14 -5 Major Decision over Thomas Rodgers
- 145: Jake DeLuca in a 3-2 decision over Dan Fano
- 160: Luke Fischer in a 12 -7 decision over Joseph Tamimi
In the final match of the meet Newton competed against Cliffside Park winning 49-6. The results of the matches are as follows:
- 195: Nick Zaremski in a 7-1 decision over Juan Pazmino
- 106: Matthew Rosa in a 14-0 Major Decisin over Austin Hufnagel
- 120: Michael Freda over Charlen Cordova with a fall.
- 126: Michael Cleary in a 15-11 decision over Serdar Muradov
- 132: Wyatt McCarthy over Naseem Elayan
- 152: Jonathon Borgognoni over Jeison Avila with a fall.
Deluca, Borgognoni, Rosa, Cleary and McCarthy won two matches each throughout the duals.
Fischer, Zaremski, and Freda each won one match throughout the duals.