NEWTON, NJ—The parking garage fire on Spring Street was found to be the result of an electrical issue in a car’s dashboard, Newton Police report.

On August 3, at approximately 10:34 p.m. Ptl. Anthony Keiling was on foot patrol on Spring Street when he heard the fire alarm sounding at 225 Spring Street, which is home to Newton Town Centre apartment complex, police said. 

According to police, Keiling investigated further and a heavy smoke condition on the first floor of the building. Newton Police Department and Andover Police Department officers were on the scene to assist with evacuating the residents from the building.

Sign Up for Newton Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Further investigation revealed that a vehicle was on fire in the parking garage underneath the building. Newton, Andover, Fredon, Sparta, and Hampton Fire Departments all responded to assist with extinguishing the fire police said.

Newton Fire Chief, Michael Razano and Sussex County Fire Marshall Virgil Rome, said the fire was not suspicious and appeared to have been an electrical issue that started in the dashboard of the vehicle, police said. 

According to police, the residents were permitted back into their residences once the building was adequately ventilated.

Get your local news delivered to your inbox for FREE each day.  Subscribe to TAPinto Newton or Sparta   or Like us on TAPinto Newton facebook and  TAPinto Sparta facebook